If you’ve ever lived in an area that has hard water, then you know how difficult it is to use on an everyday basis. Hard water doesn’t clean as well as soft water and leaves a residue that slowly builds up overall it touches; over time, this can even damage appliances such as dishwashers or washing machines. Any water that has a high concentration of solid minerals is considered hard water. Usually, this happens when the supply for a community’s tap water is kept in an aquifer made of limestone. Thankfully, there are several water softener designs that can be used to purify the pipes in your home.
10. Aquios AQFS220 Full House Salt-Free Water Softener and Filter System – New Model
The Aquis AQFS220 is an excellent choice when it comes to preventing lime-scale build-up and keeping water free of harmful chemicals. Once this machine is connected to your piping, it will immediately begin to defend against metallic corrosion caused by hard water. A fresh Aquis cartridge will last around 6 months for an average family. After the first cartridge expends its effectiveness than simply unscrew the filter and replace it with a new one. The convenience of this compact system is what sets the Aquis AQFS229 apart from ordinary saltless water softeners that must be constantly re-supplemented with salt.
- 7.5 pounds
- Improves the taste of tap water
- No need for salt
- Reduces lime-scale
9. Hansing Whole House Water Softener System Alternative – Water Descaler, Heavy Duty Hard Water Filter, Reduce Scale and Chlorine for Heater, Shower Head, Dishwasher, Kitchen Sink and Laundry, 3/4″ FNPT
This water softener has a sleek design that utilizes the natural filtering power of fruit polysaccharides and coconut husk activated carbon. It is especially easy to install and requires minimal maintenance. The radial flow design works alongside folded membranes to keep your household’s water free of impurities, without restricting the flow rate. Not only is this saltless water softener efficient, but it also has a stainless steel body that is sure to last for years to come. This model is an improved design that eliminates some of the reported problems with the o-ring seal on older versions.
- Made of durable steel
- Removes up to 99% of unwanted chemicals
- Can handle anywhere between 5-10 GPM
- The capacity of 280,000 grains of hard water
8. Aquios AQFS220L Salt-Free Water Softener & Filter System, VOC reduction – New Model
This is an all-in-one system that prevents scale build-up and corrosion by disseminating a food-grade polyphosphate throughout the water pipes. This substance, which has been approved by the FDA, will protect your pipes by sequestering heavy metals so that they don’t leave the water. Along with this, the Aquios AQFS22OL comes with a carbon block filter that removes unpleasant additives within hard water such as organic material, metals, chlorine, and phosphorous.
- Almost no maintenance needed
- Filter rated at 1 micron
- Shields pipes against lime-scale
7. Aquasana EQ-SS20 SimplySoft Salt-Free Water Conditioner
Only Aquasana can tout the unique SLOW PHOS technology that is intended to protect against all forms of corrosion caused by hard water. Over time, scale builds up in systems that deal with hard water, destroying the copper walls of pipes and clogging appliances. By using SLOW PHOS to manipulate the ionic charge of impurities, this water softener inhibits the tendency of minerals to clump to surfaces and cause damage.
- Does not demineralize water
- 11 pounds
- Automatically conditions water
6. On The Go OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softener
For those that have been seeking a portable saltless water softener that can be used outside of the house, then take a look at the OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softener. This is a perfect fit for garages or workshops that need soft water to protect against rust. Adding one of these devices to a pool or hot tub can vastly reduce the risk of hard water damage. Designed to have a high input and output of water, this machine can be used for jobs of any size. This water softener doesn’t need much maintenance, but it does need to be consistently replenished with a small amount of salt.
- Portable and versatile water softener
- Comes with 4″ drinking hose
- 8,000-grain unit
5. On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain RV Water Softener
A hefty water softener like this one will keep RVs and trailers completely supplied with clean, smooth water. It uses no electricity and can be easily installed by attaching a simple garden hose to its 360-degree swivel inlet hose. All this device needs is two boxes of ordinary table salt in order to function at full capacity. And what a capacity it sports, as it can take on up to 40% more water than other products. The flow rate is large enough for any portable setup and barely reduces water pressure.
- High flow rate and capacity
- Made with high-grade premium resin
- Can operate for 40 days on two packs of salt
4. Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System w/ UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler – Filters Sediment & 97% Of Chlorine – Carbon & KDF Home Water Filtration
Dual tanks and a multi-filter system makes this water softener the best long-term solution for homes with hard water problems. First, the water enters into a pre-filter that separates large sediment. Next, the water runs through two activated carbon filter tanks that remove organic substances, heavy metals, chlorine, and other harmful materials. A UV filter to kill certain micro-organisms is the last stage in the filtering process; though, the water is cleaned through a post-filter before this final step.
- More cost-efficient than other water softeners
- Includes advanced filter systems
- Can last up to 10 years
3. AO Smith Whole House Salt-Free Water Descaler
This water softener treats the pipes with a chemical that reduces mineral clumping, reduces copper corrosion, and coats pipes with protective material. There is no bad taste left by this process, and that unpleasant hard water texture will also disappear. The whole house can be serviced with this powerful product, from bottom floor kitchens to top floor bathrooms. This descaler is designed to operate for 6 years before needing replacement.
- 6-year warranty
- Chemical-free descaling
- Comes with hose adapter
2. Whirlpool WHESFC Pro Series – Softener/Whole Home Filter Hybrid, Gray
Lead and other sediments can cause numerous health problems when ingested for long periods of time. This water softener can remove those unhealthy impurities without sacrificing water quality in terms of taste and feel. It has a filter that self-cleans every 14 days and needs almost no maintenance. This device is a higher investment than most water softeners but is made in the USA and excellently crafted.
- 31,000-grain capacity
- NSF certified to reduce lead, chlorine, and more
- No filter replacement needed
1. DuraWater 64k-56SXT-10 10% 64k softener, 64,000, Black
This water softener uses salt to reduce the levels of debris within a pipe system’s water. As long as salt is kept in the tank, then the water that passes through the softener will be stripped of impurities. An install kit is included to aid in the assembly process. There are many options available, from 24,000 to 80,000-grain sizes. Dishwashers and washing machines that operate in houses with this device will no longer be at risk of breaking down due to a malfunction caused by lime-scale.
- Programmable system
- Upgraded water softener resin
- Made in the USA